It's not enough to do one's best. One must do what is necessary. - Sir Winston Churchill

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Teach by example

Today in Sacrament Meeting Zoë turned to me and told me that her stomach hurt. I asked her if she was hungry (since it is Fast Sunday) and she told me she wasn't. I asked her if she needed to go to the bathroom; she said that she didn't. I asked her if she needed to throw up and she said no. She dropped her head and said, "I know why my stomach hurts." Without another word she set down her scriptures and headed up to the pulpit.

I don't think her testimony was three sentences long. I don't even think she took a breath when she said it. She came back to the bench, sat down, put her hand to her stomach and said, "That's better." She went right back to looking up the scriptures at the bottom of the page of the sacrament song.

All I know is that I love everything about this litle girl. She has the most tender heart & is such a treasure in my life. I am so thankful my Heavenly Father allowed me to be her Mother.

9 comments:

Anna said...

That must have been such a wonderful moment. Kids always seem to be paying more attention than we give them credit for.

Jill said...

Sweet!

Heidi said...

What a cool story! She is a cute girl!

Steph said...

What an amazing experience for you and her! Both Matty and Kaia ask every Sunday if they can go up and bear their testimony. I love it!

Lenzi said...

Aw! That totally gave me tears! I love that little girl too.. she is growing up so fast, I wish that when my stomach hurt that way in church, I had her courage to bear my testimony!!!

Becke said...

What an example for a daughter of God to give us all. I think as we get older we forget the wonderful feelings of just doing what is right because we want to. Thanks for sharing!

Benson Family said...

That is so sweet! I can't wait to meet that sweet girl one day. When are y'all going to come and visit?

Anonymous said...

I love kids. They say the sweetest things. I can totally picture Zoey saying that. You are so lucky to have such a good little girl. She must get her qualities from you and Brad. You are both shining examples.

Sunni Shoemaker said...

WOW Leslie,
You gave me goose bumps (and teary eyes). :) We can learn so much from our children. The vail is so thin for them. I wish I had courage like that to go up and bear my testimony. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to share this with my boys.
Sunni Holmes Shoemaker